Assessment of Prostate-Specific Antigen Doubling Time in Prediction of Prostate Cancer on Needle Biopsy

Stephen E.F. Spurgeon, Solange Mongoue-Tchokote, Lauren Collins, Ryan Priest, Yi Ching Hsieh, Laura M. Peters, Tomasz M. Beer, Motomi Mori, Mark Garzotto

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

13 Scopus citations


Objectives: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) kinetics have failed to predict for the presence of prostate cancer in screening populations in which many patients harbor subclinical disease. We hypothesized that the prebiopsy PSA doubling time (PSADT) and PSA velocity (PSAV) could predict for cancer detection in a referral population with a suspicion of prostate cancer. Methods: Data were collected from 1699 consecutive veterans with a PSA level of 10 ng/mL or less who underwent prostate biopsy. Logistic regression analysis was performed on the following: age, race, family history, digital rectal examination findings, PSA, PSA density, PSADT, PSAV, prostate volume, and ultrasound lesions. Model building was accomplished with 70% of the data, and validation was done using the remaining 30%. These data were also analyzed using classification and regression tree analysis. Results: Using logistic regression analysis (P <0.05) on the model building set, prostate cancer was associated with age (older than 70 years), PSA level (greater than 2.9 ng/mL), PSA density (more than 0.12 ng/mL/cm3), digital rectal examination findings, and the presence of a lesion on ultrasonography. A PSADT of 2 to 5 years was marginally associated with prostate cancer detection (odds ratio 1.6, 95% confidence interval 1.1 to 2.3), and a PSADT of less than 2 years or longer than 5 years and PSAV were not predictive. On classification and regression tree analysis, PSADT was not selected as a predictive factor. Furthermore, neither PSADT nor PSAV was predictive of Gleason score 7 or worse cancer. Conclusions: In contrast to its prognostic value after the diagnosis of prostate cancer has been established, PSA kinetics offer little to clinical decision making as predictors of cancer or high-grade cancer in men with a PSA level of 10 ng/mL or less.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)931-935
Number of pages5
Issue number5
StatePublished - May 2007

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology


Dive into the research topics of 'Assessment of Prostate-Specific Antigen Doubling Time in Prediction of Prostate Cancer on Needle Biopsy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this