Glycosaminoglycans on fibroblasts accelerate thrombin inhibition by protease nexin-1.

D. H. Farrell, D. D. Cunningham

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

32 Scopus citations


Protease nexin-1 (PN-1) is a proteinase inhibitor that is secreted by human fibroblasts in culture. PN-1 inhibits certain regulatory serine proteinases by forming a covalent complex with the catalytic-site serine residue; the complex then binds to the cell surface and is internalized and degraded. The fibroblast surface was recently shown to accelerate the rate of complex-formation between PN-1 and thrombin. The present paper demonstrates that the accelerative activity is primarily due to cell-surface heparan sulphate, with a much smaller contribution from chondroitin sulphate. This conclusion is supported by the effects of purified glycosaminoglycans on the second-order rate constant for the inhibition of thrombin by PN-1. Also, treatment of 35SO4(2-)-labelled cells with heparitin sulphate lyase or chondroitin sulphate ABC lyase demonstrated two discrete pools of 35S-labelled glycosaminoglycans; subsequent treatment of plasma membranes with these glycosidases showed that heparitin sulphate lyase treatment abolished about 80% of the accelerative activity and chondroitin sulphate ABC lyase removed the remaining 20%. These results show that two components are responsible for the acceleration of PN-1-thrombin complex-formation by human fibroblasts. Although dermatan sulphate is also present on fibroblasts, it did not accelerate the inhibition of thrombin by PN-1.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)543-550
Number of pages8
JournalThe Biochemical journal
Issue number2
StatePublished - Jul 15 1987
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Molecular Biology
  • Cell Biology


Dive into the research topics of 'Glycosaminoglycans on fibroblasts accelerate thrombin inhibition by protease nexin-1.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this