Increased Prevalence of Regurgitant Valvular Heart Disease in Acromegaly

Alberto M. Pereira, Sjoerd W. Van Thiel, Jonathan R. Lindner, Ferdinand Roelfsema, Ernst E. Van Der Wall, Hans Morreau, Jan W.A. Smit, Johannes A. Romijn, Jeroen J. Bax

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

130 Scopus citations


Cardiac involvement is common in acromegaly, but the prevalence of valvular abnormalities in patients with acromegaly has not been documented and is the topic of this study. In a prospective study design, 40 consecutive patients with acromegaly and 120 control subjects (matched for age, sex, hypertension, and left ventricular systolic function) were studied. All patients and controls were evaluated using conventional two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. Significant valve disease was more prevalent in acromegalics compared with controls (22% vs. 6.7%, respectively; P = 0.005). Aortic valve regurgitation (≥trace severity) was present in 30% of patients vs. 7% of controls (P < 0.001), and mitral regurgitation (≥moderate severity) was absent in controis but present in 5% of acromegalics (P = 0.014 vs. controls). Binary logistic regression analysis showed a significant impact only for disease duration on valvular disease, with an odds ratio of 1.19 (95% confidence interval, 1.028-1.376; P = 0.019). Acromegaly is associated with an increased prevalence of regurgitant valvular heart disease. This is dependent on the duration of exposure to increased GH concentrations, with a 19% increase in odds per year. This increased prevalence of occult valvular disease indicates that these patients require appropriate follow-up care and monitoring, especially patients with inadequate control of GH overproduction. (J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 71-75, 2004).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)71-75
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2004
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Biochemistry
  • Endocrinology
  • Clinical Biochemistry
  • Biochemistry, medical


Dive into the research topics of 'Increased Prevalence of Regurgitant Valvular Heart Disease in Acromegaly'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this