Axial spondyloarthritis in the USA: diagnostic challenges and missed opportunities

Abhijeet Danve, Atul Deodhar

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

64 Scopus citations


Axial spondyloarthritis (axSpA) is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease that primarily affects the sacroiliac joints and spine. Delayed or inadequate treatment may decrease quality of life and lead to poor long-term outcomes, including irreversible loss of spinal function. In this review, we discuss clinical practice related to axSpA within the USA, including prevalence, diagnosis, reasons for delayed/missed diagnosis, and suggestions for making early diagnosis. The US population prevalence of axSpA (0.9–1.4%) is higher than the diagnostic prevalence (0.2–0.7%). Although the estimated diagnostic delay for axSpA is 14 years in the USA, the disease can be identified earlier if appropriately preselected patients are quickly referred to rheumatologists. Only 37% of patients with ankylosing spondylitis in the USA are diagnosed by rheumatologists; the remaining 63% are diagnosed by primary care (26%), chiropractic/physical therapy (7%), orthopedic surgery (4%), pain clinics (4%), acute care (3%), and other settings (19%). To help reduce diagnostic delay, non–rheumatologist-healthcare professionals are urged to refer patients with back pain and ≥ 1 of 3 SpA features (HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of sacroiliitis) to a rheumatologist. Prevalence and diagnosis rates of axSpA are disparate in the USA due to the lack of awareness and knowledge among non-rheumatologists. Progress has been made in identifying hurdles causing diagnostic delays. Public health initiatives are needed to guide primary care physicians, physical therapists, chiropractors, and other specialists seeing patients with chronic back pain on methods for suspecting or identifying axSpA and early referral to rheumatologists.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)625-634
Number of pages10
JournalClinical Rheumatology
Issue number3
StatePublished - Mar 14 2019


  • Ankylosing spondylitis
  • Axial spondyloarthritis
  • Clinical practice in the USA
  • Inflammatory back pain
  • Non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis
  • Referral strategy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Rheumatology


Dive into the research topics of 'Axial spondyloarthritis in the USA: diagnostic challenges and missed opportunities'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this